What is ToodleBit?
ToodleBit is a creative, hands-on approach to teaching STEM within KS2. Based around the computer science curriculum, ToodleBit uses the BBC MicroBit to link computing, science, maths and design technology into exciting and stimulating lessons. Designed for the non-specialist teacher, animated videos guide pupils through each lesson.
ToodleBit comprises of 7 units of work, each unit is made up of 6 lessons providing a scheme of work from year 3 to year 6. Each package includes detailed lesson plans, components to complete each project and an online classroom with the animated videos, support and extension ideas enabling all pupils to succeed.
|Age Range||5-7, 8-10|
Pupils need access to either desktops, laptops, Chromebooks or Ipads plus internet access. Pupils will need access to the downloads folder on desktops/laptops machines.
Teachers will need a 45 minutes training slot. All material for this is provided via the online classroom.
ToodleBit pricing starts from £799 / year
Mega:Bit - £799+vat, includes six units of work, kit and a year's subscription to the online classroom.
Compare ToodleBit with...
from 3 Verified Reviews
Part time teacher
Used ToodleBit for 6 months
It is easy to use, clear and does fulfil the objectives for the children.
Mary found ToodleBit:
- Moderately improves attainment“A child who finds reading and writing difficult was able to complete toodlebit tasks and was keen to persevere to get the outcome. The shift in her confidence has been great to see.”
- Moderately reduces teacher workload“I have not had to find resources etc to teach the objectives. I can rely on the toodlebit programme to build on and teach new skills.”
- Significantly improves teacher knowledge and skills“Both myself and the TAs in class were unsure of this content but we have been able to confidently learn alongside the children!”
Used ToodleBit for 6 months
Toodlebit is just so easy to use and deliver. Our Teaching assistants who lack confidence when it comes to computing lessons were able to understand the objectives and work with the children more confidently. The children really enjoyed the activities and their is scope for all to improve at their own levels. The instructions can be played as many times as the children need and those who have difficulties reading text were able ton access the information through the spoken word button which meant that nobody was held back or needed to rely on others.
Cathy Paxman found ToodleBit:
- Significantly improves attainment“Children have learnt how computers are programmed through codes. They have been able to progress at their own rate, with higher achievers experimenting and lower achievers consolidating. Toodlebit explains very clearly, the objectives of the lessons so that the children become confident with the terminology used.”
- Significantly reduces teacher workload“The plans are clear and simple to follow. The explanations make it easy for a non computing expert to feel confident when delivering the lessons. I have found other schemes confusing and have had to spend hours working through lessons in order to deliver them to the children. Toodlebit is an enjoyable resource to use.”
- Significantly improves teacher knowledge and skills“I personally have a better understanding of how computers work through Toodlebit's simple video expolanations.”
Used ToodleBit for 2 months
They really are much simpler to use than I expected and the way the Toodlebit scheme is laid out means that it is straightforward, exciting and accessible to all.
Simon found ToodleBit:
- Significantly improves attainment“Children are becoming more independent and describing the the impact their programming is having more precisely with improved use of terminology. They are also excited to access the extension challenges.”
- Moderately reduces teacher workload“The plans are clear and precise which means that I only have to spend a minimal amount of time familiarising myself with the lesson. The equipment is all neatly packaged reducing time finding resources.”
- Significantly improves teacher knowledge and skills“I had never used a Microbit before and am finding that I am enjoying learning to use them as much as the children.”