What is Big Maths?
Big Maths simplifies the primary maths curriculum into simple learning steps that encourage enjoyment, confidence, and mastery of maths.
Big Maths provide a detailed pedagogy and powerful online platform which reduces teacher workload as a result of simplified planning, accurate online assessment (zero marking), and a collection of thousands of resources designed specifically for use in schools with Big Maths.
In a survey of teachers (more than 350 responses) using Big Maths last year, 95% said they would recommend it and 2/3 said it had improved their subject knowledge. Most importantly, 97% said their pupils enjoy Big Maths!
We recommend 20 minutes of Basic Skills focus at the beginning of each maths lesson if only using for fluency and basic skills.
- Age Range
- 0-4, 5-7, 8-10, 11-13
- Available OfflineInternet - Low BandwidthInternet - High BandwidthDesktop - MacDesktop - WindowsDesktop - Chromebook
- Live OnlineVideos
Compare Big Maths with...
The website works on most devices, though we don't recommend mobile phones. We provide getting started guides and support through setup. You just need an internet connection. Paper-based resources are available to send home for children to use if internet connectivity is an issue.
1 to 2 days of CPD to introduce the pedagogy. Videos are included in the site to provide additional support.
Big Maths Pricing
Personal pricing, based on your school. Contact us to get a personal quote.
Big Maths Reviews
from 4 Verified Reviews
Melrose PS, Scotland
Used Big Maths for 2 years
I would recommend it as the online resources, including the CLIC, SAFE and Learn Its are very helpful. I like that data can be easily collected. Concepts are broken down well and the PowerPoints to go alongside these are helpful. I like that it is easy to see what concept to move onto next.
Kitty Duthie found Big Maths:
- Significantly improves attainment
- Significantly builds student knowledge“I think it breaks down concepts well to ensure children fully understand the processes.”
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“Working on specific concepts, regularly has helped some children progress considerably.”
- Significantly improves teaching efficiency and productivity“I find the PowerPoint and resources to be helpful. Not having to search for sheets to go with the PowerPoints reduces workload.”
- Significantly reduces teacher workload“Having the worksheets, PowerPoint, CLIC, SAFE and Learn It challenges online and being able to track progress online.”
- Moderately improves teacher knowledge and skills“It has taught me new ways of teaching certain concepts.”
- Slightly saves school money
- Slightly provides school data“Personally I use the data on Big Maths but it is not something used school wide.”
- Moderately improves parental engagement“It has been great during lockdown and learning at home. We have used the packs and parent guides and parents have helped children complete online challenges.”
- Slightly improves behaviour or wellbeing
Acting Principal Teacher
Dunblane Primary School, Scotland
Used Big Maths for 2 years
Big Maths is a resource that can help deliver numeracy and maths. It should be used alongside supporting resources and activities but provides the progression steps that provide a clear pathway for learning and teaching.
Carol Anderson found Big Maths:
- Moderately improves attainment“The term planners support teachers to plan learning and activities. Where learning gaps are identified by teachers Big Maths provides a clear set of steps which the teacher can then use to revisit prior learning and address any learning gaps. The formative assessments are also useful tools to support teaching and learning to identify and address learning gaps on an individual level.”
- Significantly builds student knowledge“The students are taught a range of strategies that are built upon as they progress through Big Maths. The students are also encouraged to explain their workings to show a deeper understanding rather than just provide the answer. Through the formative assessments students are able to progress at their own speed and can receive additional support with their learning when needed.”
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“As Big Maths can be used to identify learning gaps at the individual level the teacher can then work with individuals or small groups to address the gaps.”
- Moderately improves teaching efficiency and productivity“The term planners provide a clear structure as to what should be covered each term across Numeracy and Maths. The resources provided by Big Maths can be used for teaching input and follow up activities. This does not prevent the teacher using their own resources to work together with the Big Maths resources.”
- Moderately reduces teacher workload“Planning - term planners provided Resources - teaching and follow up activities Learning gaps - identified at individual level”
- Moderately improves teacher knowledge and skills“Strategies - provides a range of strategies that may or may not be familiar Progress steps - provides a clear progression path for learning, so if there are gaps teachers can look at progress steps and find a suitable starting point.”
- Slightly saves school money“Where weekly challenges can be done online this reduces the cost of delivery, however due to the availability of technology and younger children not accessing online challenges as well as the older children there is a printing cost to the weekly challenges. As an online resource all teachers can access the resources as and when they want rather than needing to share resources or buy more resources.”
- Significantly provides school data“Formative assessment provided from weekly challenges. Student progress can be tracked and monitored over various time gaps. Teachers can look at a graph of their whole class and then look at individuals within that.”
- Moderately improves parental engagement“Our school has run workshops to show parents Big Maths, what a lesson would look like, an overview of some of the strategies that are taught in Big Maths and how we can use it to identify learning gaps. The workshops were well attended as parents want to understand the approach that the school is using in the teaching of numeracy and maths. During home learning many of our parents have asked for support to work with their children on their learning gaps as they have been observing their children complete their weekly challenges.”
- Moderately improves behaviour or wellbeing“As any change is introduced there can be resistance however personally following the Big Maths training I decided to go for it and use both the CLIC and SAFE resources with my class. Working with colleagues who went with the same approach we were able to work together to find out practical ways of using Big Maths that supported our teaching and learning as best it could. We continue to share experiences with each other and our other colleagues. Again personally I feel confident in using Big Maths as a resource and I know that I am delivering numeracy and maths to my students using tried and tested progression steps and strategies. This in turn has a positive impact on my own wellbeing.”
Teacher (Junior Dept Maths Coordinator)
Ysgol Treganna, Wales
Used Big Maths for 5 or 6 years
I feel it’s invaluable in terms of formative assessment. It gives the school a strategic and developing framework of methods that graduate with comprehension from one to the next. It allows for both individual and group tracking and thus planning. It keeps skills that were previously covered once a year in the minds of pupils on a weekly basis. It helps engagement. It has improved results. The team at Big Maths are incredibly helpful and offer guidance whenever I’ve needed it.
Alan Thomas-Williams found Big Maths:
- Significantly improves attainment“We saw Level 5 results grow in % from the years previous to the programme’s introduction at the school.”
- Significantly builds student knowledge“Our Mathematical Reasoning data has improved greatly and is above the Welsh average. I believe having confidence in using methods allows more room to consider application.”
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“Often pupils may feel disengaged from learning. Big Maths existence as a colourful online space makes it both appealing and engaging. Needless to say, engagement helps bridge the attainment gaps.”
- Significantly improves teaching efficiency and productivity“Marking time has been reduced. Formative Assessment is rarely needed beyond Big Maths, it gives an accurate picture of individual and group gaps in learning allowing weekly response to a specific class’ need.”
- Significantly reduces teacher workload“Marking, Assessing, Creating resources and guidance for parents are all heavily supported by the website.”
- Moderately improves teacher knowledge and skills“It’s allowed a better over view of the development of methods. Teachers further up the school are aware of skills that form the basis of their work and those lower down the school have a greater appreciation of how their skills are developed and built upon. It allows for a more linear teaching strategy within the school.”
- Slightly saves school money
- Significantly provides school data“Times tables, pure maths skills and SAFE skills are all tracked and can correspond to statutory assessment tools without having to double the assessing.”
- Significantly improves parental engagement“Parents often say “I’m scared to help, I might do it wrong.” or “It’s changed since I was at school.” By tracking each child individually, we can work with parents to target specific skills, using parent packs to ensure their comprehension of methods and how those methods sit in the bigger picture of their child’s educational journey.”
- Moderately improves behaviour or wellbeing“See above about workload!”
Maths Coordinator/Year 5 teacher
Howell's Prep School/GDST, Wales
Used Big Maths for 5 years
It's the best Maths resource that I've seen and used in many years of teaching. And it works!!!! I now see children who love Maths and teachers who are enthusiastic about teaching the subject. I wouldn't want to work any other way.
Shelley found Big Maths:
- Significantly improves attainment“Year 7 teachers now notice the children who have been using Big Maths and their speed and agility. Girls are confident and apply their skills in a range of subjects daily. They see the links between and within Maths”
- Significantly builds student knowledge
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“Firstly, Big Maths allows you to see the scale and nature of the gap clearly! It then shows where specific children need to make progress and helps teachers highlight the areas to help close gaps. The 'Learning Gaps' area on the website is so easy to use.”
- Moderately improves teaching efficiency and productivity“The detailed programme is clear for teachers and provides a structured framework to be followed that has incremental steps. The testing programme helps feed into planning, allowing lessons to become helpful and relevant to the cohort. The vast range of resources on offer are high quality, saving teachers hours of time. Big Maths online saves marking time, allowing teachers to spend time helping children to improve”
- Significantly reduces teacher workload“See previous comments - less time making resources, marking of tests is done online and assessment data is at your fingertips!”
- Moderately improves teacher knowledge and skills“Those who are new to Big Maths always have that 'lightbulb' moment when seeing the methodology and the progression steps. Big Maths provides detailed teacher notes to help support the less confident mathematics teachers.”
- Significantly saves school money“In comparison to other Mathematics schemes, Big Maths is value for money. Less cost doesn't mean less quality!!!!”
- Significantly provides school data“Every week teachers are given data about individual children and classes. This is tracked for you and available in an accessible format. The whole system works on a cycle, feeding into planning and supporting development.”
- Slightly improves parental engagement“Many parents are onboard with Big Maths. They especially get involved in Learn Its and support children to weekly improve scores.”
- Moderately improves behaviour or wellbeing“All of the teachers I know love using Big Maths and helping the children in their classes achieve with it. When you see that the programme works, it makes being a teacher and all the hard work worth it! The time saved in creating resources helps too - it allows you to spend time supporting.”