What is FlashAcademy®?
FlashAcademy® is the UK’s No1. EAL platform for schools, supporting classroom and independent learning of EAL, ESOL and MFL.
FlashAcademy® is an award-winning education technology company that enables independent learning of English for speakers of other languages through fun and engaging lessons, with support in 48 languages. The app provides a wide spectrum of interactive tasks with instant feedback and tailored vocabulary (including curricula-oriented) to support students from beginner to advanced levels.
Teachers say that using the app saves them time and allows them to evidence learner progress through monitoring and reporting.
”Over 45% of EAL pupils learning with FlashAcademy progress by one or more proficiency grades over a 12 month period, compared with the national average of 18%"
20 Minutes a day
|Company||Business Name: FlashAcademy®|
HQ Location: United Kingdom
|Age Range||5-7, 8-10, 11-13, 14-16, 17-18, 19+|
|Features||Administer AssessmentsProvide LearningIndependant Learning|
|Languages||Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Ukrainian, Czech, Pashto, Pushto, Tagalog, Albanian, Amharic, Armenian, Bengali, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Danish, Dutch, Greek, Modern, Gujarati, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Kurdish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Panjabi, Punjabi, Romanian, Moldavian, Moldovan, Russian, Slovak, Somali, Swedish, Tamil, Tigrinya, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese, Yoruba, Welsh|
|Requirements||Available OfflineDesktop - MacDesktop - WindowsDesktop - ChromebookDesktop - LinuxMobile - iPhoneMobile - iPadMobile - WindowsMobile - Android|
FlashAcademy® is accessible on smartphone, tablet, and PC, and is available on Apple and Android devices. Initial set-up may require some input from an IT Manager, although most schools can be onboard in less than an hour. To use the platform, teachers and pupils will need to have basic technological knowledge. Our fantastic education team provide a free demonstration with ongoing support once the platform has been integrated into your teaching strategy. Schools are provided with admin access and pupils are given a username based on their initials.
Our members will receive a welcome email with the login details and instant access to the platform. From here, the initial set-up process can take approx. 30 mins to 1 hour. The on-boarding process lasts 4 - 6 weeks which includes 3 sessions with an Education Success Advisor.
|Training||In PersonLive OnlineWebinarsDocumentationVideos|
We offer a free demonstration to showcase the platform features and a free trial for teachers to experience. We provide training and ongoing support to ensure confidence and clarity in using the platform. All schools receive a user-guide and are shown how to utilise every platform feature through demonstration, training and frequent webinars.
|Support||EmailFAQs/ForumKnowledge BasePhone Support|
|Home Learning||Parent Access|
School must create the account.
|Tags||ealenglish as an additional languagelow literacyEAL LearnersEAL for Schoolseal resourcesfree eal resourcesEAL in EducationeflmflassessmentSENDSENESOLBlended LearningESOL ResourcesBeginner EnglishNew Arrivals|
Free TrialPaid Subscription
Pricing varies as we tailor our offering to suit your requirements. Speak to our expert Education team today for more information and an accurate quote.
Compare FlashAcademy® with...
from 18 Verified Reviews
Communication, Language and Oracy Lead
Used FlashAcademy® daily for 1-2 years
Supports language acquisition through vocabulary development in short, easy to access lessons. With a great assessment tool.
Kirsty Struthers found FlashAcademy®:
- Moderately reduces teacher workload“Planning for intervention groups”
- Significantly reduces attainment gap“Supporting those with EAL to develop their language skills so they can access high quality first teaching in the classroom”
- Moderately improves teaching efficiency“No planning for EAL assessment”
- Significantly improves attainment“Supporting language acquisition”
- Moderately builds student knowledge
Class teacher and EAL Specialist
Used FlashAcademy® daily for 7–12 months
It is an excellent programme, but one small thing to improve would be the available vocabulary for tailor made lessons. Teachers have shared that when making custom lessons, the vocabulary they would like to use is often unavailable. Also, it takes a little while to load results.
Fiona Smith found FlashAcademy®:
- Slightly reduces teacher workload“There is a reduced need to think of resources to support early learners of the English language.”
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“Early learners makes accelerated progress in spoken language and communication since using Flash Academy”
- Slightly improves teaching efficiency“The teacher now actively thinks about the achievement of the early learner.”
- Slightly improves attainment“Children are more enthusiastic to learn in the English language.”
- Significantly builds student knowledge“They are more familiar with the use of common objects earlier in their language acquisition.”
Used FlashAcademy® daily for 4-6 months
I would like to the teacher for giving opportunity to learn this great app (Flash academy. My son Riyansh very much interested to this app. He is learning stylish English and pruniciation. This app is giving great platform to learn may other things also. This app is very useful. Regrad Priyanka Barwal M/O Riyansh Barwal
Riyansh Barwal found FlashAcademy®:
- Moderately reduces teacher workload“No”
- Slightly reduces attainment gap“No”
- Significantly builds student knowledge“Increased”
TA and EAL co-ordinator
Used FlashAcademy® for 1-2 years
The platform is very visual. Students can play games and learn. The competition mode motivates them to attempt tasks in their free times, outside the classroom.
Galina found FlashAcademy®:
- Significantly builds student knowledge“Improve phonics skills, spelling, pronunciation, vocabulary and sentence structures.”
- Significantly reduces attainment gap“Support EAL students with developing language skills”
- Slightly reduces teacher workload“monitoring students progress, conducting admin tasks and sometimes technical issues students experience”
Used FlashAcademy® for 7–12 months
Since signing up to Flashacademy in 2018 and being part of a case study, I think this is a fantastic platform for teaching EAL. The children find it fun therefore, it doesn't feel like they are working. Learning while having fun.
Emma McCormick found FlashAcademy®:
- Significantly builds student knowledge“.”
- Slightly reduces attainment gap“.”
- Does not significantly reduce teacher workload“Due to the language barriers, sometimes the workload is doubled as we have to provide more appropriate pictures to match the word/phrase.”
Used FlashAcademy® for 16months
It is a great tool and I use it a lot but I have been coming up against problems in that the children can't always use it alone if they are very low level
Helen found FlashAcademy®:
- Slightly reduces attainment gap
- Moderately reduces teacher workload“class teacher can use it with non English speaking children during sections of the class which are too difficult.”
Used FlashAcademy® for 4 months
It is fun, interactive and the children are engaged and enjoy learning through Flash
Anne-Marie Young found FlashAcademy®:
- Slightly reduces attainment gap“Children's confidence has improved”
- Moderately reduces teacher workload“Quicker assessment process”
Used flashacademy for 12 months
Francis found flashacademy:
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“ ”
- Moderately reduces teacher workload“ ”
Teacher / EAL Lead
Used FlashAcademy® for 1 year
I believe it is a very useful software not just for EAL pupils but for all pupils, including underachievers, It can also be used by all pupils to consolidate different aspects of learning of for whole class handwriting/ letter formation, phonics or french lessons
Imade Olayemi found FlashAcademy®:
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“Our Year 5 children have used this app to support their learning and access certain areas of the curriculum. ”
- Moderately reduces teacher workload“The structured and self led lessons make it easier for teachers. Less planning for teachers as children can navigate and use the device on their own.”
Used flashacademy for 12 months
Its colorful and that gets students attention
Stacy found flashacademy:
- Does not significantly reduce attainment gap“We use it for EAL students which helps with their English rather than filling in gaps”
- Significantly reduces teacher workload“Aslong as you set the assignments well ahead of yourself you have a few weeks of work set up there”
Used flashacademy for 3 years
It's fun, children love it and learn at the same time. Parents can get involved too. Children arriving who speak little English can often feel isolated and anxious, I feel this enables children to feel valued and welcome.
Claire Evans found flashacademy:
- Significantly reduces attainment gap“Children who have used the app have made better than expected progress in attainment”
- Significantly reduces teacher workload“When children arrive who do not speak a good level of English they can be significantly behind other's in their class. To differentiate this much can pressurise teachers and place them under undue stress. ”
Used flashacademy for 3 months
Supports children with limited language skills on entry to school, no matter which year group
Sarah Orgill found flashacademy:
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“Moving EAL competency band”
- Moderately reduces teacher workload“Enables pupils to work alongside peers without additional resources created by staff”
Used flashacademy for 6 months
Good service and provides quick responses
Hannah found flashacademy:
- Slightly reduces attainment gap“Helping our USAC pupils improve their Math's and English skills ”
- Slightly reduces teacher workload“Not applicable to us”
Used flashacademy for 3 months
It isn't any higher yet as we need to fully embed Flash to be able to make an informed decision on how successful it is.
Jaspreet found flashacademy:
- Slightly reduces attainment gap“It hasn't been long enough for us to measure the gap. However it has impacted on the children generally and they are becoming more confident in speaking English”
- Moderately reduces teacher workload“Teachers do not have to plan for a separate EAL curriculum as the lessons are already done.”
Used flashacademy for 8 months
The absolute flexibility of the app, so I have a group of children with different languages and at different levels I can set them all up on Flash Academy and they can have a productive lesson very quickly.
Helen found flashacademy:
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“A student who came to us from Oman and so spoke, read and wrote in arabic was able to quickly pick up enough english to access maths in class and work along side his peers.”
- Significantly reduces teacher workload“When they are able to set students to tasks on the app whilst teaching a class without having to prepare separate work .”
Used flashacademy for 1 year
I am thoroughly committed to this program. My students are progressing well
Emma found flashacademy:
- Moderately reduces attainment gap
- Does not reduce teacher workload
Used flashacademy for 12 months
The students that use Flash within my setting have made huge improvements both academically and socially. Students are engaged and motivated and will use Flash at home without prompting.
Kelly found flashacademy:
- Significantly reduces attainment gap“cross curricular, generally gives students more confidence within the mainstream classroom.”
- Moderately reduces teacher workload
Used flashacademy for 2 years
excellent service, always adapting to the needs of the consumer, always striving for excellence and innovations, always helping me with other EAL related challenges
Hollie O'Sullivan found flashacademy:
- Significantly reduces attainment gap“speeds up the process of A - C considerably, can be done in weeks rather than months ”
- Significantly reduces teacher workload“less planning, less resources to make, reduces marking ”