What is Learning Village?
The Learning Village is an award-winning blended EAL school programme. It supports induction to English, gap-filling and pre-teaching of vocabulary and language structures, for independent learning, small-group teaching and differentiation in class.
With its immersive image-based methodology, making image the language of instruction, the Learning Village is suitable for learners of any language. It is ideal for those who are not yet literate or who have a SEND need.
The programme is divided into two parts: The Village, for learners aged 6 to 12 years, and The Islands, for learners aged 12 to 16 years.
20-30 minutes 4+ times a week
Video & Screenshots
- Age Range
- 5-7, 8-10, 11-13, 14-16
- In PersonLive OnlineWebinarsDocumentationVideos
- EmailFAQs/ForumKnowledge BasePhone Support
- EALliteracyEnglishSENDlanguagesnew arrivalsbeginner Englishblended learningELLESOLESLEnglish as an additional languageEAL resourcesESL resources
- free trial
- Yes, get a free trial
Compare Learning Village with...
The Learning Village works best when using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge. It will work on other browsers too, but not optimally. The Learning Village learner experience is a webapp. That means that it is not available in the App Store, but the learner experience behaves like an app. The Learning Village Student Area is iPad-friendly. Please make sure you are running up-to-date software (iOS11 and above), as older versions do not support recording.
Learning Village Pricing
Free TrialPaid Subscription
You can find more pricing information here: www.learningvillage.net/pricing
Learning Village Reviews
from 11 Verified Reviews
International Primary School GSV, Netherlands
Used Learning Village weekly for 5 years+
Using the Learning Village has a great impact on children learning English as a second language. It offers a wide variety of topics, grammar and vocabulary and it enhances things they have learned in the EAL sessions. It's a programme that can be used in the classroom as well as at home where children can work independently. It gives them a good sense of self-responsibilty for their learning. Above all, it makes learning English FUN!
Hanneke found Learning Village:
- Significantly reduces attainment gap“Being able to use vocabulary in the correct context and apply grammatical structures more accurately.”
- Slightly provides school data“N/A”
- Not significantly increases student collaboration“They usually work independently”
- Significantly improves attainment
Used Learning Village daily for 7–12 months
Ian found Learning Village:
- Significantly reduces attainment gap
- Moderately provides school data
- Significantly increases student collaboration“Pupils can learn at home and we can closely monitor”
- Significantly improves attainment“Pupils reading ages improving”
Used Learning Village for 1-2 years
LV allows children to develop their English with support at school and independently at home. Both teachers, TA's and parents can use this to support EAL children.
Olabisi Akande found Learning Village:
- Significantly improves attainment“Improved speaking, listening, reading and writing”
- Significantly increases student collaboration“competing in games/comparing scores/bingo games”
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“Developments in reading”
- Not provides school data“Not used”
EAL Leader Whole School
The British School, India
Used Learning Village for 3-4 years
We are looking forward to some more challenging content for Middle school.
Bindu Grover found Learning Village:
- Significantly improves attainment“When we've used Learning Village for our Absolute Beginners we have seen significant progress in vocabulary and language acquisition. The progressive pathway for lessons helps ensure the students consolidate a concept before moving ahead.”
- Slightly increases student collaboration“Putting students together into teams for tasks”
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“The learn adaptability to use inbuilt Translanguaging tool and structured lessons are extremely beneficial for an upward impact on attainment gap.”
- Significantly provides school data“We analyse the students language strengths and areas of development based on the reports available. We also use the data to plan the support for our students.”
Jane de Noord
Rivers International School, Netherlands
Used Learning Village for 1-2 years
Learning Village regularly updates the programme with new resources and useful webinars for teachers. In addition, the friendly team are always on hand to help. The learners love it and so do teachers. We are very impressed and would give it 11 out of 10!
Jane de Noord found Learning Village:
- Moderately improves attainment“Children with very little or no English soon acquire enough language to participate in class lessons.”
- Significantly increases student collaboration“Pre-teaching vocabulary with Learning Village builds confidence enabling children to communicate with their peers and contribute to discussions. The listen repeat, record function is a very useful tool which appeals to learners.”
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“If learners cannot speak the language of instruction, they cannot follow the curriculum. They have come to a new school in a different culture, where the sights and sounds are strange and often frightening for younger children. The Learning Village is easy to understand and navigate and has the advantage of teaching English while introducing curricular topics.”
- Moderately provides school data“Tracking the progress of learners throughout the school year is important.”
Used Learning Village for 7–12 months
Teaching EAL is challenging as there is no curriculum and no plan to follow. It is also a very isolated role within he school. LV provides everything you need, a plan, assessments, practice and lots of tools to adjust any teaching materials to suit your students need. And there is always something more you have not yet explored
Lenka Bayman found Learning Village:
- Moderately improves attainment“I like different aspects, accessing curriculum, phonics and useful tools for newly arrived .”
- Slightly increases student collaboration“Playing games”
- Significantly reduces attainment gap“I had students from Arabic speaking countries that found Latin alphabet very difficult and without that were lost in the class. Learning phonics on LV helped to speed up the inclusion.”
- Slightly provides school data
Used Learning Village for 1-2 years
excelent tool to build confidence among the foreign students especially those whose level of english is not enough good to be in the class without any help, expand the structures and vocabulary, build readiness to new circumstances in students life
Dorota found Learning Village:
- Significantly improves attainment“understanding new language, involment in lessons, growing confidence”
- Moderately increases student collaboration“involment, opening to new contacts, using new vocabulary in a proper context”
- Significantly reduces attainment gap“reducing element of isolation from english environment”
- Significantly provides school data“help subject teachers to understand the level of readiness to particular topics or possibility to rearrange the materials to assess the students in the class”
Sen and EAL teacher
Used Learning Village for 18 months
Learning Village is a fabulous resource. Students can use it on their own with minimal staff input and they enjoy doing so. The resources provide us with differentiation and support for our non EAL students who struggle as well. The support from the company is unbelievable. Every question is answered with patience and speedily dealt with
Ruthanne Sireling found Learning Village:
- Moderately improves attainment“Pupils who came from abroad were able to use this programme at home as well as in school instead of the regular English lessons and the subject specific vocabulary enabled them to access the subjects”
- Slightly increases student collaboration“Not really. We use it one to one”
- Slightly reduces attainment gap“We have to few EAL students to be able to answer this”
- Not significantly provides school data“Not at the moment”
EAL Lead/Teaching Assistance
Used Learning Village for 4 and a half years
Yes I deliver LV with passion and I believe in the programme and see that throughout the years of using LV has made a huge impact on me and the children. The visuals have supported the children’s learning too. I also feel Caroline and Simon have worked extremely hard to make this programme work fr everyone and adapted to all abilities of children.
Ragini Patel found Learning Village:
- Moderately improves attainment“A child from Romania no English now is able to construct some sentences independently.”
- Significantly increases student collaboration“Yes I teach in small groups and this helps gain confidence of each child and the wiliness to answer questions and be comfortable”
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“Many children in our school come to the school without little or no English at all. Once they have used LV you find they are gaining confidence in speaking and gradually gain writing skills.”
- Significantly provides school data“At the moment don’t have access”
Used Learning Village for 4 months
Too many reasons but to name a few:the children are enthusiastic.
Jane found Learning Village:
- Significantly improves attainment“Confidence”
- Moderately increases student collaboration“talking and comparing experiences on LV”
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“Children are eager to power through LV and proud of their achievements. Communication in English is greatly improved enabling them to participate in lessons.”
- Moderately provides school data“Progress of EAL children is easy to share with teachers and other specialist teachers.”
Used Learning Village for 4 years
The Learning Village is a fantastic resource as it is a teaching tool and a learning aid. It supports the teacher through a vast amount of resources and guidance, and the children through survival language, phonics and topical themes via audio, visual and S&L games.
Sarah found Learning Village:
- Significantly improves attainment“The children progress at an accelerated pace, 5 terms in 3, allowing them to close the gap between their peers and perform alongside them. ”
- Significantly increases student collaboration“The children's fluency and accuracy increase rapidly through the use of flashcards game and competitions, which allows them to communicate in more detail and work in groups being able to take turns, share and solve problems. ”
- Significantly reduces attainment gap“The children progress 5 terms over 3. So, the longer they are with us the smaller the attainment gap becomes. ”
- Significantly provides school data“When the children are new to English they are unable to access the curriculum so cannot be assessed against it. The Learning Village provides data and trackers which enables us to see what skills the children have learnt and need to learn, also what proficiency stage they are at. ”