What is Phonics Hero?
Phonics Hero’s 850 games make screen time into learning to read and spell time!
At home or school, on a computer or our app, kids love working at their own pace to complete their superhero phonics adventure. Your students won’t notice the hours and hours of extra systematic synthetic phonics practice, but you will see the leap in reading and spelling skills.
Phonics Hero is built for the savvy phonics teacher, who wants more than 'an app'. It allows you to monitor your students' online phonics learning with usage reports (to see when and for how long your students were playing) and real-time reporting (so you can see what each student achieved for every level and skill). You can then use those insights to move children’s levels, set home learning and much, much more.
40 minutes per week.
|Age Range||0-4, 5-7|
|Requirements||Desktop - MacDesktop - WindowsDesktop - ChromebookMobile - iPadMobile - Android|
Internet browser/iPad/Android tablet - usernames and passwords for children.
7 minutes per class.
|Support||EmailKnowledge BasePhone Support|
|Home Learning||Parent Access|
Anyone can create the account.
Phonics Hero Pricing
Compare Phonics Hero with...
Phonics Hero Reviews
from 3 Verified Reviews
Speech Language Pathologist
Used Phonics Hero weekly for 3-4 years
I love that it builds automaticity of recognition even with larger orthographic units, and the very short nature of each game means even my reluctant readers see these as fun. It can be hard to stop them playing !
Alison found Phonics Hero:
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“Increasing speed of development for letter sound and (later) orthographic units.”
- Moderately improves attainment“Able to apply targets more effectively in context”
- Moderately builds student knowledge“Knowledge of orthographic patterns and speeded recognition of these”
Used Phonics Hero daily for 1-2 years
I love it, the kids love it and it reflects and supports the classroom based learning perfectly. Plus it is a great price point, considering we are a small school and have a limited budget.
Yarni MacAlister found Phonics Hero:
- Significantly reduces attainment gap“I have a child that has developmental delays. He has difficulty participating in whole class or small group activities but will interact well in an online learning environment and with gamification. He has been able to use Phonics Hero to make significant reading, writing and spelling progress this year! Plus, he loves to do it!”
- Significantly improves attainment“I follow a systematic synthetic phonics based program and I find that Phonics Hero compliments it beautifully. It gives the students additional independent practice with the concepts I have taught in our small group sessions and helps to reinforce their learning.”
- Moderately builds student knowledge“Exposure to new sounds if they are progressing. These are explicitly taught later but the beauty of using an SSP approach to learning to read is that they understand the concept that sounds are spelled using letters and they assimilate the new information into their existing schemas with ease.”
Used Phonics Hero weekly for 1-2 years
It is a great tool for children to practise using the knowledge and skills they have learnt at school
Karen Lord found Phonics Hero:
- Moderately reduces attainment gap“Becoming more secure with sounds learnt at school”
- Not significantly provides school data“Confidence in blending”
- Moderately improves teaching efficiency
- Moderately improves attainment
- Significantly builds student knowledge“Knowledge of words and the sounds within them”